Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Infograph-this!

I have always found infographics to be attention-grabbing.  I enjoy seeing them in magazines, and I believe I actually remember the information better than if I had read it in a paragraph.  I thought I would enjoy making my own infographics, so I tried out Piktochart.

Piktochart has some nice templates available for free.  If you like one of the existing templates, it is not too difficult to customize it for your own needs.  There is a user-friendly toolbar on the side offering a good array of icons, pictures, and drawing options to allow for creativity.  There is also a very easy graph creation feature that allows you to enter raw data and present it in several visually-appealing ways.

Here is my first Piktochart:

The drawback with Piktochart is the limited number of free templates.  There are only 10 free infographic templates available, and you would have to pay for a subscription to access the other hundreds.  Since I believe that tools used for education should be free, I will not be "leveling up" to access the remaining options.  With only 10 template options available to me, this resource may quickly lose its novelty, but it might be worth giving my students the option to try it once or twice as a fun way of sharing some information with their peers.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the honest reflection. Your infographic looks great! After learning about so many other choices in class don't give up on the idea, but maybe explore infographics with a new tool. Since there are so many available these days it will be interesting to see if Piktochart expands it's free version....

    ReplyDelete