Thursday, December 8, 2016

Me + Tech = Social Worker 2.0!

I'm proud of me!  I've had a busy few months immersing myself in technology that could possibly benefit my students.  Although I didn't instantly fall in love 💓 with every new tech tool I explored, I did find a few things that seem very valuable to me now.  I also had the chance to learn about the tech my colleagues may be using, so now I feel I better understand the lingo and no longer feel like a tech foreigner trying to decipher a mysterious language!  I no longer have mild palpitations as a result of being baffled when I overhear other teachers having conversations involving 'SeeSaw,' 'creating a QR code,' or 'coding for STEM.' 😄

Image Source
I have experienced some changes that I did not expect.  It's still amazing to me that I check Twitter every day.  I've only Tweeted from time to time, but I have gotten a lot out of reading my Twitter feed because I have been able to follow a great selection of professional resources that provide me with helpful ideas and/or inspirational thoughts to keep me positive.  This experience with Twitter also came with a greater lesson for me.  I had totally judged Twitter before even trying it, and I am a little embarrassed to admit that I was prejudiced against it.  In the future, I will try to suspend my judgements until I have the opportunity to try a new technology.

I found an online technology resource that fills a need I've had for years!  Thinglink has become a tool that I really like because I can finally make a library of emotion pictures that has built-in cues which highlight the specific parts of the person's expression that contribute to the emotion.  This is a teaching tool I've tried to make with other resources and failed.  Thinglink not only accomplishes my goal, it is so easy to use that I can get a lot of benefit after spending only a little time with the tool.  So cool!

I would not even begin to call myself a tech expert, but I do feel good about pushing myself outside of my comfort zone.  I often tell students that is how we grow.  Now I'm talking the talk, and walking the walk too.

Image Source
Although I feel slightly more caught-up with tech than I did before, I don't feel like this process is over.  I have to keep pushing myself to stay abreast of the newest tech because my students will always be interested in the new stuff.  I may be somewhat current today, but things keep evolving and I don't want to fall too far behind again!

I used to be a great school social worker, and I only used a little tech like an occasional YouTube video or a MindYeti exercise.  Now I have incorporated more tech into my social work practice, and I have become Social Worker 2.0!  Still a great social worker, now updated for the current needs of students and using tools that make my life easier and that are easy for kids to relate to 😄

3 comments:

  1. The evolution image is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how we judge things before ever really giving them a chance? I felt the same way about Twitter, but now it seems like a great way to stay in touch with parents that are interested, as well as getting professional information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the main lessons of the course is that none of us need to be "tech" experts to use tech. We need to become expert at our own field, enhancing it with tech. I'm so happy that you found ThingLink - your enthusiasm is contagious. I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete